Garden Classrooms are 90 minute field trips for students that teach lessons through hands-on and experiential activities. Each field trip uses the garden as a classroom and is aligned with Utah Core Standards for each grade level. Students apply what they’ve learned in school and see it come to life in the garden.
New this Year: Homeschooling Options!
Homeschooling this Fall? Bring Your Kids to YGP for a Field Trip!
This year, we are creating the opportunity for homeschooling families to safely participate in 90 minute Garden Classroom Field Trips! Each grade level and age range will have the opportunity to learn something new while exploring the Youth Garden Project, whether it’s using our five senses or investigating plant adaptations!
Dates & Times Offered:
- Kindergarten: Ages 5-6–Oct. 21st from 9am-10:30am
- 1st Grade: Ages 6-7–Oct. 14th 1pm-2:30pm
- 2nd Grade: Ages 7-8–Oct. 28th from 1pm-2:30pm
- 3rd Grade: Ages 8-9–Sept. 30th from 1pm-2:30pm
- 4th Grade: Ages 9-10–Oct. 8th from 9am-10:30am
- 5th Grade: Ages 10-11–Sept. 23rd from 9am-10:30am
- 6th Grade: Ages 11-12–Oct. 9th from 9am-10:30am
We are asking families to pay a $10 refundable deposit (or donation!) to hold your spot for each field trip you sign-up for. We cannot refund families who do not show up for their field trip slot. The deposit will be refunded if less than 4 kids sign up and we have to cancel, and should we have to cancel due to any COVID circumstances that may arise. You can submit this payment online through our PayPal or safely drop off a check or cash at least one week prior to your scheduled field trip date.
Fill out the Fall Garden Classroom Sign-Up form, and we will be in touch soon with more details!
Fall Field Trips
Fall, aka harvest season, is the perfect time for garden-based education. Our lesson topics include:
- Plant Parts
- Five Senses
- The YGP Community
- Rock and Soil Connections
- Living, Once-Living, and Nonliving things
- Plant Classification with Dichotomous Keys
- Inherited Traits
- Healthy Snacks
Spring Field Trips
Garden Classrooms for Spring 2020 were cancelled due to COVID-19. Past lesson topics have included:
- The Life Cycle of a Plant
- The Six Plant Parts
- Water and Soil Investigations
- The Scientific Method
- The Components of Soils
- All About Plant Adaptations
- Microorganisms and their Role in the Compost Pile